Article I: Membership
Section 1: Membership Eligibility
Membership shall be open to all persons who support the purposes of Rideau River DockDogs and who are in good standing with both Rideau River DockDogs and DockDogs® Canada, and who are interested in promoting the sport of DockDogs®. While membership is to be unrestricted as to residence, Rideau River DockDogs primary purpose is to be representative of participants living in Eastern Ontario
Membership is established by submitting a membership application, receiving membership approval, and paying dues.
There are several types of membership open to all persons 7 years of age and older who are in good standing with DockDogs® Canada and who subscribe to the purposes of Rideau River DockDogs. Description of Membership Levels are listed below:
1) Charter Members: Members who assist in the formation of Rideau River DockDogs, whether they actively attend any of the meetings prior to the application for affiliation or worked behind the scenes to support the efforts of the creation of the club. They are entitled to voting rights and participation in all Club events as well as obtain a lifetime membership.
2) General Members: Open to all persons 7 years of age and older.
3) Household Members: Spouse, significant other, or child of a charter or general member. Adult family members are entitled to voting rights and all family members are entitled to participate in all Club events.
4) Honorary Members: Any individual who has served the Club in a significant way and whom the Board of Directors and membership chooses to recognize by designating as an Honorary Member by majority vote of the Board of Directors and majority vote of the membership. An Honorary Member is not entitled to vote or hold office. No dues shall be required of an Honorary member.
Section 2: Membership Dues
Membership dues shall not exceed an amount designated by the Officers and Board of Directors per year and are payable on or before March 30th of each year. Each January, the Treasurer shall send each member a statement of dues for the ensuing year.
Section 3: Membership in Good Standing
Membership in good standing requires that dues be fully paid. If any membership payment is in arrears over sixty (60) days, that membership shall be terminated. Payment of dues will reinstate the membership.
Section 4: Membership Election
Each applicant for membership shall apply on a form as approved by Rideau River DockDogs Officers & Board of Directors and which shall provide that the applicant agrees to abide by the Constitution & Bylaws and the Rules of Rideau River DockDogs. The application shall state the name and contact information of the applicant and it shall carry the endorsement of two members in good standing.
Accompanying the application, the prospective member shall submit dues payment for the current year. The application will be reviewed by a Board Member(s) and approval or rejection will be conveyed to the applicant. Applicants for membership election who have been rejected by Rideau River DockDogs may not reapply within six months after such rejection.
Membership election shall not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, nationality, sex, religion, sexual orientation, nor on the basis of the breed, or mixed breeding, of any member’s dog(s).
Section 5: Membership Code of Ethics
All members must follow the DockDogs® Code of Ethics attached to these Bylaws as Exhibit A. Failure to abide by the Code of Ethics can result in disciplinary action and/or expulsion as provided in the Discipline section of these Bylaws.
Section 6: Termination of Membership
Memberships may be terminated, without refund of paid dues or any other contributions unless determined otherwise by the Board of Directors or any of the following:
1) Resignation: Except when in debt to the Club any member may resign by giving written notice to the Secretary.
2) Lapsing: A membership shall be lapsed and automatically terminated if a member’s dues remain unpaid 60 days after the date on which dues are due. The Board of Directors may grant an extension with sufficient cause for a group or individual as deemed appropriate.
3) Expulsion: A membership may be terminated by expulsion as provided in the Discipline section of these Bylaws.
Article II: Club Year, Meetings and Voting
Section 1: Club Year
The club’s fiscal year shall begin on November 1, and end on the last day of October 31st.
Section 2: General Club Meetings
Meetings of Rideau River DockDogs shall be held yearly (at a minimum). Rideau River DockDogs meetings will be held via teleconference, internet or in person within the Eastern Ontario area at such hour and place as may be designated by the Board of Directors. Notice of each such meeting shall be e-mailed and or posted on Rideau River DockDogs website and forum no less than 10 days prior to the date of the meeting.
The quorum for such meetings shall be those present at the meeting including at least 75% of acting officers.
Special Club meetings to discuss extraordinary circumstances may be called by the President or by a majority vote of the Members of the Board of Directors who are in good standing. Notification by e-mail of such a meeting shall be sent by the Secretary. No other club business may be transacted at that meeting.
The quorum for such meetings shall be those present at the meeting including at least 75% of the officers.
Section 3: Board of Director Meetings
Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held monthly. The Board of Director meetings will be held via teleconference, internet or in person within the Eastern Ontario are at such hour and place as may be designated by the Board. Notice of each such meeting shall be e-mailed and or posted on the Rideau River DockDogs website and forum no less than 4 days prior to the date of the meeting.
The quorum for such meetings shall be 75% percent of the Board members.
Any member in good standing is welcome to attend a Board of Directors Meeting.
Special Board of Directors meetings to discuss extraordinary circumstances may be called by the President; or shall be called by the Secretary upon receipt of a written request of at least three members of the Board. The Secretary shall e-mail notification of such meeting before the date of the meeting. Any such notice shall state the purpose.
Section 4: Annual Business Meeting
The Annual Business Meeting will be held during the month of November.
Section 5: Voting
Each member 7 years of age and older in good standing whose dues are paid for the current year shall be entitled to one vote at any meeting of Rideau River DockDogs at which he is present. Proxy voting will not be permitted at any club meeting or election.
Article III: Board of Directors
Section 1: Objectives
The Board of Directors is the policy making arm of Rideau River DockDogs. A Board of Director may be called upon to perform many different tasks within the Club, however, their role is to handle general management of Rideau River DockDogs as their affairs shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors.
Section 2: Quorum
The quorum for a meeting of the Board of Directors shall be75% of the Board Members. Board of Directors shall attend at least 75% of Rideau River DockDogs meetings and actively participate in the business of Rideau River DockDogs.
Section 3: Elections & Positions
Board of Directors elections will take place in November and positions should be elected by March 1st. The Board of Directors shall be comprised of at least two current Officers, one of which MUST be the Secretary, the outgoing Club President and two Club Members, all of whom shall be members in good standing and all of whom shall be elected to staggered two-year terms. The staggered two-year terms are as follows: President, Secretary and Past President Vice-President, Treasurer
The Past President shall sit on the Board of Directors and assist the President and Vice- President as a mentor and be available for questions and guidance on club activities, meetings, and other club business, including discipline.
Directors for the ensuing year, shall be elected by peers or by secret ballot from among those nominated in accordance with Section 4 of this Article. They shall take office immediately upon the conclusion of the election and each retiring officer shall turn over to the successor in office all properties and records relating to that office within 30 days after the election to Rideau River DockDogs Secretary.
The nominated candidates for Directors receiving the majority votes by members, whose ballots have been submitted by the required date, shall be declared elected.
Section 4: Nominations
No person may be a candidate in a club election who has not been nominated. Nominations will be taken from the floor at the general meeting or via online secret ballot provided that the person so nominated does not decline when their name is proposed. Nominations cannot be made at the annual meeting or in any manner other than as provided in this Section.
Nominations cannot be made at the annual meeting or in any manner other than as provided in this Section.
Section 5: Removal of a Director
If a Director fails to fulfill the duties of their position set forth in these Bylaws, the other members of the BOD may notify that Director in writing of such non-performance. If the Director continues to fail to fulfill the duties of the position, the other members of the BOD, by majority vote, may remove that Director and appoint a replacement in accordance with these Bylaws.
Section 6: Vacancies
Any vacancies occurring with the Board of Directors during the year shall be filled at the next General Meeting of Rideau River DockDogs.
Section 7: Compensation
All Board of Directors, Officers and committee members shall serve without compensation.
Section 8: Expansion & Downsizing
The Board of Directors (BOD) may add Members as deemed necessary for Rideau River DockDogs growth and expansion. Additional BOD Members will be appointed with a majority vote of the current BOD. New Directors are to be added in groups of two (2) so that an odd number of total Directors may be retained.
By the same process, the Board may also “downsize” if deemed necessary by identifying positions that will not be renewed after the current term expires provided the reduction can retain the odd number of total Board members.
Section 9: Competitors Events
No active Board of Director shall sit on or participate in any other dock diving board of directors not sanctioned by DockDogs® or an affiliated DockDogs® club.
Article IV: Officers
Section 1: Objectives
Rideau River DockDogs Officers shall consist of the following: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Youth Adviser, Sponsorship & Marketing Chair, and Social Networking Chair. The Officers shall serve in their respective capacities both with regard to Rideau River DockDogs and their meetings as well as the Board of Directors and their meetings.
Section 2: Elections
Club Officer elections will take place in November and positions should be elected by January 1st. Club Officers for the ensuing year, shall be elected by peers or by secret ballot from among those nominated in accordance with Section 3 of this Article. They shall take office immediately upon the conclusion of the election and each retiring officer shall turn over to the successor in office all properties and records relating to that office within 30 days after the election to Rideau River DockDogs Secretary.
The nominated candidates for Officers receiving the majority votes by members, whose ballots have been submitted by the required date, shall be declared elected.
Section 3: Nominations
No person may be a candidate in a club election who has not been nominated. The Board of Directors shall select a Nominating Committee consisting of 3 active club members, not more than one of whom may be an Officer. The Board of Directors shall also name a Chairman for the committee and it shall be such person’s duty to call a committee meeting, which shall be held on or before October 1st.
The committee shall nominate one or more candidates for each vacating Officer and, after securing the consent of each person so nominated, shall immediately report their nominations to the Secretary in writing.
Any nominee for the position of an “Officer” is required to have first been a club member for at least 1 year prior to elections and whose membership is in good standing. Nominations will be taken from the floor at the general meeting or via online secret ballot provided that the person so nominated does not decline when their name is proposed. Nominations cannot be made at the annual meeting or in any manner other than as provided in this Section.
Section 4: Job Descriptions
General Job descriptions for each position are as follows:
1) President: responsible for fulfilling the mission of Rideau River DockDogs preside over all meetings pertaining to Rideau River DockDogs , set, lead and strive to achieve the goals of Rideau River DockDogs for each calendar year, organize and direct the work for Rideau River DockDogs Officers and Board of Directors, resolve conflict within Rideau River DockDogs and shall represent Rideau River DockDogs at those occasions that require representation from Rideau River DockDogs . The President shall also serve as the primary liaison between Rideau River DockDogs and DockDogs® Canada Office and Staff. When necessary, the President will also assume responsibilities of Volunteer Chair if this position is not filled.
2) Vice President: works hand in hand with President to insure the value of the Vice Presidency. They must be knowledgeable of all club activities, both administration and programming, allowing the Vice President to step in and oversee any position if needed. In the absence or sudden vacancy of the President, the Vice President will serve as acting president until a new President has been elected and they shall stand in for the President at times when the President is unable. The Vice President will also work closely with the President in defining and executing the goals of Rideau River DockDogs. Also, this position will assume responsibilities of Social Events Chair if position is not filled.
3) Secretary: shall serve on the Board of Directors, maintain all of Rideau River DockDogs records of all meetings of the club and of the Board of Directors and of all matters of which a record shall be ordered by Rideau River DockDogs and provide copies when necessary. The Secretary will ensure all aspects of Rideau River DockDogs meetings are in order, run on time and maintain attendance records. The Secretary shall handle all of Rideau River DockDogs correspondence, maintain membership records, notify members of meetings, notify new members of their election to membership, notify Officers and Board of Directors of their election to office and keep a roll of the members of the club with their addresses and provide any of the above mentioned to the DockDogs® Head Office when requested.
4) Treasurer: is responsible for maintaining a constant and accurate record of all Rideau River DockDogs financial transactions and for leading projects which will help improve the financial position of Rideau River DockDogs .The treasurer works hand in hand with the Secretary and shall collect and receive all moneys due or belonging to Rideau River DockDogs . Moneys shall be deposited in a bank designated by the Board of Directors, in the name of Rideau River DockDogs. The books shall at all times be open to inspection by the Board of Directors and a report shall be given at every meeting on the condition of Rideau River DockDogs finances and every item of receipt or payment not before reported. The Treasurer will make certain all records are in order, create a working budget for Rideau River DockDogs organize all accounting and budgeting for the coming year, be certain Rideau River DockDogs bank account is in order, deposit all funds immediately, collect all membership dues and submit reconciliations to the DockDogs® Head Office.
5) Youth Adviser: Will promote Rideau River DockDogs and the sport of DockDogs. The youth adviser will assist in promoting the growth of Youth Handlers by finding creative ways to attract younger audience into the sport of DockDogs. The youth adviser will assist with needed at Rideau River DockDogs events and assist the Rideau River DockDogs board of directors.
6) Sponsorship & Marketing Chair: strives to promote and advertise all Rideau River DockDogs activities as well as grow Rideau River DockDogs through building partnerships with current and potential sponsors, media outlets and personnel and maintain a presence in the community where Rideau River DockDogs resides. The Sponsorship & Marketing Chair will oversees all correspondence and relationships with partners and media, update contacts, contracts, brochures, sponsorship and media materials and recaps as well as secure media relations through radio, print and television. The Chair will also produce a Quarterly newsletter to distribute to Rideau River DockDogs and its community electronically to promote activities, updates and changes with Rideau River DockDogs.
7) Volunteer Chair: oversees all Rideau River DockDogs members volunteer requirements, tracking volunteer hours and ensuring members are completing their mandatory volunteer hours needed to stay in good standing with Rideau River DockDogs. This role is taken on by President if not filled.
Section 5 Removal of an Officer
If an Officer fails to fulfill the duties of their position set forth in these Bylaws, the Board of Directors may notify that Officer in writing of such non-performance. If the Officer continues to fail to fulfill the duties of the position, the Board of Directors, by majority vote, may remove that Officer and appoint a replacement in accordance with these Bylaws.
Section 6: Vacancies
Any vacancies occurring with the Officers during the year shall be filled at the next General Meeting of Rideau River DockDogs
Section 7: Compensation
All Board of Directors, Officers and committee members shall serve without compensation.
Section 8: Expansion & Downsizing
Officers may add positions outlined in these Bylaws as deemed necessary for Rideau River DockDogs growth and expansion. Additional Officers will be appointed with a majority vote of the current Officers. New Officers are to be added in groups of two (2) so that an odd number of total Officers may be retained. By the same process, Officers may also “downsize” if deemed necessary by identifying positions that will not be renewed after the current term expires provided the reduction can retain the odd number of total Officers.
Section 9: Competitors Events
No active Officers shall compete or participate in any dock diving competition or demonstration not sanctioned by DockDogs® or an affiliated DockDogs® club.
Article V: Committees
Section 1: Standing Committees
The Board of Directors may each year appoint standing committees to advance the work of Rideau River DockDogs in such matters as sanctioned events, fun jumps, training seminars, annual awards, membership drives and other fields which may well be served by committees. Such committees shall always be subject to the final authority of the Board of Directors but are encouraged to bring on in groups of two so as to keep majority rules policy in place. Special committees may also be appointed by the Board of Directors to aid it on particular projects. Some examples would be:
1) Merchandise Committee
2) Donation Committee
3) Volunteer Committee
4) Election Committee
Section 2: Terminating Appointments
Any committee appointment may be terminated by a majority vote of the full membership of the Board of Directors upon written notice to the appointee; and the Board of Directors may appoint successors to those persons whose services have been terminated.
Article VI: Expenses, Finances and Responsibility
Section 1: Expenses Regarding Authorization and Limitation
Expenses from‘s Rideau River DockDogs bank account may only be used for club related purposes as deemed appropriate by Rideau River DockDogs President. The President has the authority to utilize funds and approve expenses up to $300.00 (CA), each calendar month, without requiring approval from the Board of Directors or General Membership. Expenses above this set limit must be approved by a majority of both the Board of Directors and the General Membership.
A description of the expense beyond the limit being proposed will be provided at the meeting prior to a vote being taken. The set limit may be revised to meet operational requirements and/or inflation. Adjusting the set limit will be done by a vote of the General Membership and Board of Directors and will require a majority approval from both.
Section 2: Temporary Deposits and Withdrawals
It is permissible for the President and Treasurer to utilize Rideau River DockDogs bank account to transfer, retain, and distribute funds that are allocated for special purposes as required. Such items may include the holding of donations to charities in order to provide one lump sum, funds set aside for special projects, or to facilitate a loan for a Club related expense. Items of this nature will be accounted separately and not reported as available club funds. Any monetary interest gained during the time held will become property of Rideau River DockDogs
Section 3: Responsibility
It is the responsibility of all Club members as well as the Board of Directors to insure that Rideau River DockDogs money is being utilized appropriately.
It is a primary responsibility of the Treasurer to know the available funds and their purpose, maintain budgets, and protect the account to the best of his or her ability. It is also the Treasurer’s responsibility to report over expenditures and any other financial concerns to the Board of Directors as soon as they are detected.
Article VII: Discipline
Section 1: DockDogs® Canada Suspension
Any member who is suspended from the privileges of or expelled from DockDogs® Canada automatically shall be suspended from the privileges of Rideau River DockDogs for a like period or expelled from Rideau River DockDogs
Section 2: Violations of the Code of Ethics
Violations of the Code of Ethics are not tolerated. In addition to charges of violations of the Code of Ethics brought by members of Rideau River DockDogs any member of DockDogs® Canada or any Judge or official at an event may prefer charges for a violation of the Code of Ethics. If charges are brought at the DockDogs® Canada level, the DockDogs® Canada Disciplinary Procedure shall be followed.
Section 3: Charges
Any member may prefer charges against a member for alleged misconduct prejudicial to the best interests of Rideau River DockDogs or for a violation of the Code of Ethics.
Written charges with specifications must be filed with the DockDogs® Head Office by the Secretary of Rideau River DockDogs. The Secretary shall also send a copy of the charges to each member of the Board of Directors or present them at a Board meeting, and the Directors shall first consider whether the actions alleged in the charges, if proven, might constitute conduct prejudicial to the best interests of Rideau River DockDogs or a violation of the Code of Ethics. If the Board of Directors considers that the charges do not allege conduct which would be prejudicial to the best interests of Rideau River DockDogs or a violation of the Code of Ethics, it may refuse to entertain jurisdiction. If the Board of Directors entertains jurisdiction of the charges, it shall fix a date for a hearing by the board not less than three weeks nor more than six weeks thereafter.
The Secretary shall promptly send one copy of the charges to the accused member by registered mail together with a notice of the hearing and an assurance that the defendant may personally appear in his/her own defense and bring witnesses if he/she wishes.
Section 4: Board of Directors Hearing
The Board shall have complete authority to decide whether counsel may attend the hearing, but both complainant and defendant shall be treated uniformly in that regard. Should the charges be sustained after hearing all the evidence and testimony presented by complainant and defendant, the Board of Directors may, by a majority vote of those present, suspend the defendant from all privileges of Rideau River DockDogs for not more than six months from the date of the hearing. If the Board deems that punishment insufficient, it may also recommend to the membership that the penalty be expulsion. In such case, the suspension shall not restrict the defendant’s right to appear before his/her fellow members at the ensuing club meeting which considers the Board’s recommendation. Immediately after the Board has reached a decision, its finding shall be put in written form and filed with the Secretary. The Secretary, in turn, shall notify each of the parties of the Board of Director’s decision and penalty, if any.
Section 5: Expulsion
Expulsion of a member from Rideau River DockDogs may be accomplished only at a meeting of Rideau River DockDogs following a Board of Director’s hearing and upon the board’s recommendation as provided in these Bylaws. Such proceedings may occur at a regular or special meeting of Rideau River DockDogs ,to be held within 60 days but not earlier than 30 days after the date of the Board’s recommendation of expulsion. The defendant shall have the privilege of appearing in his/her own behalf, though no evidence shall be taken at this meeting. The President shall read the charges and the Board of Director’s finding and recommendation, and shall invite the defendant, if present, to speak in his/her own behalf if he/she wishes.
The members shall then vote by secret ballot on the proposed expulsion. A two-thirds vote of those present and voting at the meeting shall be necessary for expulsion. If expulsion is not so voted, the board’s suspension shall stand.
Article VIII: Amendments
Section 1: Proposal or Petition
Amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws may be proposed by the Board of Directors or by written petition addressed to the Secretary signed by 20% of the membership in good standing. Amendments proposed by such petition shall be promptly considered by the Board of Directors and must be submitted to the members with recommendations of the Board of Directors by the Secretary for a vote within three months of the date when the petition was received.
Section 2: Membership Vote
The Constitution and Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting at any regular or special meeting called for the purpose, provided the proposed amendments have been included in the notice of the meeting and mailed to each member at least two weeks prior to the date of the meeting.
Section 3: Submission to DockDogs® Canada Office
All amendments, changes or deletions to the Constitution & Bylaws must be submitted to the DockDogs® Canada office within 30 days of passage.
Article IX: Dissolution
Rideau River DockDogs may be dissolved at any time by the written consent of not less than two-thirds of the members. In the event of the dissolution of Rideau River DockDogs other than for purposes of reorganization whether voluntary or involuntary or by operation of law, none of the property of Rideau River DockDogs nor any proceeds thereof nor any assets of [the Club] shall be distributed to any members of Rideau River DockDogs but after payment of the debts of [the Club] its property and assets shall be given to a charitable organization for the benefit of dogs selected by the Board of Directors.
Article X: Order of Business
Section 1: Format
At meetings of both the board and Rideau River DockDogs , the order of business, so far as the nature and character of the meeting may permit, shall be as follows:
Minutes of Previous Meeting Report of President
Report of Vice President
Report of Secretary
Report of Treasurer
Report of Youth Adviser
Report of Additional Chairs or Committees
Election of Officers and Board of Directors(at annual meeting)
Notification of New Members
Calendar of Events Adjournment
Article XI: Parliamentary Authority
Anything not covered by the Constitution, Bylaws, or Standing Rules shall be governed by Roberts Rules of Order, Revised.
Section 1: Code of Ethics
OBJECTIVES: Training and competing with any dog shall be done indiscriminately with emphasis placed on developing good health, sound temperament, willingness to work and other outstanding characteristics of dogs.
SPORTSMANSHIP: All DockDogs® Club Members shall endeavor to conduct themselves in a manner which will reflect well upon our dogs and our sport. Members shall not malign DockDogs®, other competitors or their dogs.
HEALTH: All DockDogs® Club Members agree to maintain good standards of health and care of their dog(s), including proper veterinary care, adequate quality food and water, and proper socialization. Members shall not use any means too derive better results during training or competition from their dog that are artificial and or harmful to their dog(s). Under no circumstances will abuse of dog(s) or human(s) be tolerated.
ENFORCEMENT: All members shall agree that receipt by the Board of Directors of the local DockDogs® Club to which they belong of written allegations of violations of this Code of Ethics, the Board of Directors will proceed according to the Constitution and Bylaws of said club